BOOK CLUB DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
*** WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS! ***
- When did you realize what was really going on?
- What elements of the book – events, characters, places – do you think are “real” in the book, and which are not?
- Brian says he used the color white deliberately to reflect things that are happening in Lisa’s mind. Did you notice how this affected the narrative?
- Discuss the relationship between Lisa and Purdue.
- Why did Lisa and her brother react so differently to the events of the “Dark Star”?
- Do you think it’s possible for siblings to have the kind of connection that Lisa and her brother do?
- What was your favorite scene, and why?
- Why do you think Brian chose the remote location of Thief River Falls for this novel? (Did you know it was a real town?) How did the setting enhance the drama of the book?
- Have you read Brian’s other novels? How would you compare a stand-alone thriller like THIEF RIVER FALLS to Brian’s series books featuring Jonathan Stride and Frost Easton?
- Did you cry for Lisa in the final chapters?
- Did the novel have a “happy” ending?
- What insights about the life of a thriller writer did you take away after reading this novel?